Considering A Visit To Tuscany?
Tuscany is a very unique place to visit. The main reason for this is that the region had a significant impact on both the European and Italian cultures which made it quite different from all other places. Furthermore, it is characterized by a comprehensive culture that features wine growing, fashion, craftsmanship, extra virgin renowned oil production, truffle collecting and is also made of art. However, what really makes Tuscany popular is its critical role as the birthplace of the Renaissance. This is exhibited in its various galleries, frescoed churches and museums. The top towns and districts of Tuscany are Siena, Pisa, Lucca and its environs, Arezzo & the Piero della Francesca trail, Chianti, San Gimignano, the Val d’Orcia and Montalcino.
When to travel
Summer time is usually the ideal time for one to take a Tuscany tour regardless of the large tourist crowds and the unpleasant mix of sultry air. Climate in Tuscany greatly varies from place to place. Upland and hilly areas are known to offer cool and pleasant weather compared to the coastal areas and cities. This is why the periods between April to May as well as October to November are highly recommended as the ideal travel dates for tourists. This recommendation is based on the fact that Tuscany is usually less crowded at these times of the year and therefore more suitable.
There are numerous facts that tourists ought to know and appreciate about Tuscany, below is a list of a few of those local curiosities:
- Tuscany is an Italian Region that is known to have the largest number of football clubs like Livorno, Siena, and Fiorentina among many others.
- It hosts the 3rd largest tower in Italy called orre del Mangia of Palazzo Pubblico. It is located in Siena and stands at an astounding height of 88m.
- It hosts 2 slightly leaning towers called San Michele degli Scalzi and San Nicola. However, the only leaning tower in Tuscany is known as Torre di Pisa.
- The number of UNESCO sites in Tuscany exceeds that in South Africa or in Australia.
- Tuscany has a balcony that is considered to be one of the strongest in the entire globe. All the architectural elements on it are in an upside down position. It is referred to as balcone rovesciato and is located in Florence at 12, Borgo Ognissanti Street.
Things to do
There are several things that an individual can do in a Tuscany tour, some of the notable ones include the following:
- Visit museums – Tuscany is home to a number of interesting museums that tourists can visit, they include Opera Metropolitana Cathedral Museum in Siena, National Museum of San Matteo in Pisa and Uffizi Gallery in Florence.
- Horse race – The Palio di Siena horse race is an interesting occasion to attend in Tuscany.
- The cities of art offer a relatively amazing experience. You can visit and browse through the alabaster craft workshops.
- Tuscan Archipelago is a must go. These islands offer a once in a lifetime experience for people of all walks of life and all ages.
- Music – The city of music called Lucca is yet another worthwhile place to visit especially its summer festival that is essentially an open-air music event held in the surroundings of Piazza Napoleone.
- Sample food – Every Tuscany village has its typical dishes. Such dishes are characterized by simple recipes. The food is delicious as the locals use high quality ingredients and effective cooking methods to prepare them. There are some very common dishes such as paté (pâté), crostino (crouton) and bruschetta. You will appreciate that olive oil is the essential dressing of each and every Tuscan recipe. The food in Tuscany is one of the main tourist attractions.
- Wine – The Tuscan wines are simply unparalleled in taste, some of the popular ones that you ought to sample when you visit are Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Brunello di Montalcino and Chianti Classico.
There are a few options of getting around while in Tuscany. Tourists can use either bikes or scooters to move around when looking especially for the cities of art. However, hiring a car is recommended for tourists in a wine and food tour. Using these means of transportation are considered to be most effective while traveling within Tuscany.
The above insightful information clearly indicates that Tuscany Tour has a lot more to offer than just its lovely olive groves, beautiful vineyards and irresistible dialect. It is a worthwhile activity to participate in as it offers a lot to be discovered. Join the bandwagon by scheduling your tour today.